Self Quiz for Prokaryotic Cell Structure: The Peptidoglycan Cell Wall
Study the material in this section and then write out the answers to these questions.
Do not just click on the answers and write them out. This will not test your understanding of this tutorial.
1. A monomer of peptidoglycan consists of _____________, _____________, and _______________. (ans)
2. State the function of peptidoglycan in bacteria. (ans)
3. State the role of the following enzymes in peptidoglycan synthesis:
a. autolysins (ans)
b. bactoprenols (ans)
c. transpeptidases (ans)
d. transglycosylase (ans)
4. A penicillin is used to treat a bacterial infection. Describe the mechanism by which this antibiotic eventually kills the bacteria. (ans)
5. Gram-positive bacteria stain ____________ (ans) after gram staining while gram-negative bacteria stain _____________ (ans).
6. Bacteria normally live in a hypotonic environment. Since water flows into a cell in an environment that is hypotonic, why don't the bacteria burst from osmotic pressure? (ans)
7. Multiple Choice (ans)
Kaiser's Microbiology Home Page
Copyright © Gary E. Kaiser
All Rights Reserved
Updated: August, 2010
Please send comments and inquiries to Dr. Gary Kaiser