- Adsorption: phage adsorbs
to receptors on the bacterial cell wall.
- Penetration: phage injects
its genome into the bacterium's cytoplasm.
- Early replication: phage
genome replicates and phage components begin to be produced.
- Late replication: production
of phage components progresses.
- Maturation: phage components
- Release: phage-coded
lysozyme breaks down peptidoglycan causing lysis of the host bacterium.
- Phage inserts its genome
into the bacterial nucleoid to become a prophage.
- As the bacterium replicates,
the prophage replicates as a part of the nucleoid.
- Rare spontaneous induction:
phage replicates via the lytic life cycle.