Use transparent watercolor paint in tubes. The best quality is Winsor Newton professional. Student quality tube paint is fine—Academy, Liquitex, Cotman. Some Holbein okay.
• Cadmium lemon or Cotman Lemon yellow hue(346)
• Cadmium scarlet or scarlet lake
• Alizarin Crimson
• Cerulean blue
• Any green or Liquitex permanent green light
• French Ultramarine Blue
• Burnt Sienna
• Cotman Turquoise (654)
• Permanent Rose or Quinacridone Red
The following are useful additional colors:
• Quinacridone magenta
• Peacock blue (Holbein), or Academy turquoise, or London pthalo blue
• Yellow ochre
• Naples Yellow
• Raw Umber
• Prussion blue
• Cobalt Blue
• Cobalt Turquoise
• Cadmium Red Medium
• Opera (Holbein)
• Raw Umber
SUPPLIES EVERYONE WILL NEED:
- 1” Aquarelle by Grumbacher or 1” Skyscraper by Robert Simmons
- Size #6 Robert Simmons white sable round or Grumbacher Academy 770 #8
- Robert Simmons white sable series 721 flats ¾”, ½”, ¼” or Royal flats
- 2” to 3” hake wooden paddle brush-do not get metal ferrule paddle brushes
- About a size 4 or 5 bristle fan blender (an oil brush)
- Royal SG190 3/8” chisel brush.
- Winsor & Newton University series 233 #12 round or Raphael “petit gris” (series 803, size 3)
- A script or liner brush;
- A long, narrow palette knife
The first class will include an introduction to supplies. You do not have to bring supplies for the first class.
A three ring notebook/journal with plastic page covers . Two large plastic containers for water
Paper towels, plastic eraser, and a 2B desk pencil
A ruler 18" or longer and a hair dryer would be useful.
WATERCOLOR BRUSHES have shorter handles than oil/acrylic brushes.
Read the brush information on the brush handle.
You will need starter brushes such as Royal brand:
- Royal #8 SG 4090 flat
- ¾” Royal SG711 flat
- Royal SG190 3/8” chisel shaped brush
If you can afford another, the Robert Simmons 1” skyscraper is a good aquarelle starter.
INTERMEDIATE AND ADVANCED PAINTERS:
Choose from this group of
PALETTE: White styrofoam plates ore suitable.
White bucher trays and large plastic lids are practical.
If buying a watercolor palette, a flat palette with a cover is best.
___Dont buy Strathmore brand watercolor paper!!
Arches 140 pound cold press watercolor paper is best.
3 or 4 full sheets are needed to start
- Full sheet is 22x30
- Half sheet is 15x22
- Quarter sheet is 11 x 15
instead of using individual sheets of paper,
you may choose to buy watercolor blocks of 140lb. cold press paper:
Canson Montval 18x24 block is less expensive.
Arches 18x24 block is better quality.
In addition to large paper,
the Arches 9X12 140 lb watercolor pad is good for small studies.
A drawing pad 18 x 24 is needed, too.
A pack of craft quality white construction paper 12 x 18 will be needed.